Subject: RE: [lojban] Complements and adjuncts

From: "Colin Fine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:56:46 +0100

So you're arguing that all expressed terbri are complements (as well as
omitted terbri of the brivla and sumti omitted after sumti tcita?) That
would fit with their free ordering.

How then would we express adjuncts? By attaching them to the whole bridi
(following vau for example)?

****************************************************************************
****
Colin Fine
"Don't just do something! Stand There" - from 'Behold the Spirit' workshop
[email-masked]
****************************************************************************
****

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorge Llambias [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 27 June 2000 02:37
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lojban] Complements and adjuncts

la kolin cusku di'e

>The question is, does Lojban distinguish complements and adjuncts?
>
>At first sight, the answer is yes: by design, the defined terbri of a
>selbri
>are complements (i.e. its meaning is incomplete without them), and any
>additional terbri attached by sumtcita must be adjuncts (optional extras
>specification, but not an essential part of the meaning).

I think sumtcita changes the relationship expressed by the selbri.
A relationship P(x,y) between two arguments is changed into a
relationship Q(x,y,z) between three arguments. The meanings
of the two relationships are of course related, but strictly
they are no longer the same one, even though they share the
same selbri word. The new relationship is more ad-hoc than the
original one, but its ad-hoc meaning is incomplete without
its arguments just as for the original relationship.

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you seen the new Whassup?! Video
http://click.egroups.com/1/5999/4/_/17627/_/962069872/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]