Subject: Re: [lojban] Opposite of za'o

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:17:28 PDT

la pier cusku di'e

>If I go from Raleigh to Pineville, but my car breaks down in High Point, do 
>I
>say "mi za'onai klama", or is there a word for this?

Another of Lojban's outstanding difficulties (at least for
me). We have a word for "still" (za'o), but none for its
three companions: "already", "no longer" and "not yet".
In other languages these four are a bit more regular than
in English, and it is more evident that:

still not = not yet
already not = no longer
no longer not = already
not already not = still

and so on.

In principle, we can derive all four from any one of them
plus negation, so {za'o} should be enough:

za'o = still
za'o na = still not = not yet
na za'o = "not still" = no longer
na za'o na = no longer not = already

But it would have been nice to have another simple word at
least for "already".

I was tempted for my botpi example to use: {ti na za'o botpi}
to mean "this no longer botttles [any wine]", but I didn't
want to confuse the issue even further. It's nice that you
brought up the issue though.

I don't know whether {za'onai} is {na za'o}, as you propose,
or {za'o na}, or something else.

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com