Subject: Re: [lojban] Opposites (was: opposite of za'o)

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 03:42:43 -0400

At 09:49 AM 07/02/2000 +0100, Colin Fine wrote:
>I just noticed what an odd word "opposite" is in this context.
>Or any lojbanic context. I have difficulty with a number of the UInai
>glosses, but my particular se mabla is ba'anai, where the scale on which it
>has been determined negation is to run is to my mind bizarre.

It is bizarre to my mind too, and I came up with it. But at that point it 
was a matter of efficient use of cmavo space for something that was 
primarily an evidential (though I think someone argued for one of the three 
points on the scale being attitudinal) in Lojban. I think that there is 
only one other evidential that has a defined negation and hence an implied 
scale; it is arguable than none of them should be expressed as negations 
even etymological ones, except that the grammar of UI allows the things to 
be negated, so we might as well use it.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org