Subject: Re: [lojban] Opposite of za'o

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:19:46 +0300

The linguistic literature on `still', `already' and friends is not
exactly vast, perhaps, but there are some things that people might
want to look at. A couple of illuminating papers:

Traugott, Elizabeth Closs & John Waterhouse (1969).
`"Already" and "Yet": a Suppletive Set of Aspect-Markers?'.
_Journal of Linguistics_ 5.2:193-320.

van der Auwera, Johan (1993).
`"Already" and "Still": Beyond Duality'.
_Linguistics and Philosophy_ 16.6:613-653.

Stuff on:
* to what extent the expressions in question are similar to
aspect markers (ie ZAhO-like) and how and why they are not
(implying that we can't really use ZAhO to translate them);
* the `funniness' of `little words' such as _yet_;
* where `finally' fits in the quadrangle (?) `still -- already
-- not yet -- no longer';
* how other languages differ from English (eg _already_ and
_finally_ are incompatible in English, but their closest
counterparts in many other languages are not).

--Ivan