Subject: Re: [lojban] Englishistic

From: Steven Belknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:09:17 -0500

I am skeptical about claims that Hindi does not have expressions 
analogous to the English "still". There is overlap between the use of 
"still" as an intensive and its use as an adverbial "up to the time". 
Hindi may not have expressions which simultaneously convey these 
meanings, but there is probably some way to simply say express them. 
"Even" is simpler, as although it has multiple meanings, they are not 
generally employed simultaneously. It is commonly used as an 
intensive in English.

I suspect that Hindi *does* have expression(s) which mean "up to the 
time" (perhaps hidden in Hindi tenses) and other expression(s) which 
are intensive. These would seem to be necessary to clearly express 
common ideas.

Does even Jorge agree, or am I still in error?

Ivan:
> >And Hindi doesn't have words for `still' or `already' at all; either
> >one can sort of be expressed by <abhI> `even now',
-- 
Steven Belknap, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria