Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Englishistic

From: Robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:49:37 +0300

Ivan A Derzhanski wrote:
> Robin Turner wrote:

> 
> > Turkish (also Altaic) is also different.
> 
> Why `also Altaic'? Hungarian is Uralic, not Altaic.

Oops! I must have been carrying over from the old (an invalid)
"Ural-Altaic" category.
> 
> > "Still" (as in continuing) is "hala" (should be a circumflex
> > on the first "a" , IIRC);
> 
> Should be a circumflex on both _a_. This suffices to label the word
> as a non-Turkish one; in fact it is Arabic, borrowed via Persian, and
> meant `now, presently' before developing the meaning of `still'.
> 
Makes an interesting contrast with "artIk", then. 

> > (e.g. "daha gelmedi" - "he/she/it hasn't come yet",
> > in contrast to "hala gelmedi" - "he/she/it _still_ hasn't come").
> 
> I'd be curious to hear you discuss the difference between these two.
> Jorge and I are native speakers of languages in which `still not' is
> the only way of saying `not yet', and here you talk of a contrast.

In the first case there seems to be no, or weak, implication that the
event should have happened by now. For example, you can say in English
"The film hasn't started yet", or in turkish "Film daha bas~lamadI"
without implying that it should have started - maybe you are pointing
out that the film starts at 21:00 and it is only 20:55. With "still"
and "ha^la^", however, I think there is some implication of lateness.

co'o mi'e robin.