Subject: Re: [lojban] 2 maths questions

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 14:18:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, And Rosta wrote:

> 1. How does one say "recurring", as in "0.3 recurring = 0.33333333..."?

One says "no pi ra'e ci" = "zero point recurring three". The recurrence
mark is placed before the repeating digits, thus eliminating ambiguity
about where the repetition starts, as in "ci pi pa vo pa ra'e mu so" =
"3.14159595959595..."

> 2. The set of even numbers and the set of integers are both infinite,
> but how does one express the notion that the latter is bigger, because
> there are twice as many integers as even numbers? In what property
> does the set of integers exceed the set of even numbers? I presume
> there is a well-known answer to this question, but the best I can
> do on my own is something along the lines of "frequency" or 
> "distributional density" (within the set of integers/numbers/whatever);

I was just wondering about this myself the other day. If there is an
answer, it certainly is not commonly taught. In the ordinary mathematics
of infinite sets, the set of integers and the set of evens are the same
size, because it is possible to construct a one-to-one relation between
each member of the two sets (to wit, lambda x 2x).

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
"You need a change: try Canada" "You need a change: try China"
--fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know