Subject: RE: [lojban] Bringing it about that

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 06:55:55 -0400

And Rosta wrote:
> > From: [email-masked]
> > Sent: 13 April 2000 10:02
> >
> > The start is to Lojban "John made me hit him," ...
>
>I read this as a correct argument against (overzealous, overfastidious)
>sumti-raising, and the followup messages from Jorge &, eventually, Lojbab
>appear to concur. Was that the final consensus? I ask because Lojban
>Central & associated pedagogues have traditionally made a big fuss about
>so-called sumti-raising, which struck me as bogus. I therefore wonder
>whether what John wd call its bogosity has now been recognized by the
>politburo.

I dunno, since I don't remember reading this post by pc (not to say that I 
didn't - I just don't remember it). If I responded to something later, I 
responded to that later post alone. As for recognizing bogosity, it isn't 
entirely clear what position you find bogus, so I cannot say, but I don't 
recall changing my position on anything pertaining to sumti-raising in 
recent months. I make a big fuss about sumti-raising because it is a good 
pedagogical tool for getting people to think about what they are trying to 
say and getting out of malglico habits.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org