Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe

From: PILCH Hartmut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 22:54:40 +0200 (CEST)

> > It is time to bring Lojban into the European patent reform discussion, as
> > I am doing below.
> 
> What can we do to help?

for example

- create a project "Lojban for the Patent System" that has more backing
than just a few crazy individuals as those who wrote

http://swpat.ffii.org/xatra/egp27de.html (English version will follow)
http://swpat.ffii.org/xatra/lojban/

- place links to the above and to 

http://petition.eurolinux.org/ (16650 signatures by today)

and preferably make

http://petition.eurolinux.org/index.lb.html

available.

- create some sets of patent claims in Lojban as an exercise and
show what ambiguities corresponding patent claims in various
natlangs would contain and how a LL helps.

[ When translating patent descriptions between Japanese and English I
always found that this is a real problem and having them in a LL
would help not only for auto-translatability but also for
clarity. Patent claim sentences tend to become huge, and I know they
would be short, elegant and fairly understandable in Lojban. That is
because normal languages are not made for nested structures as are
necessary in patent claims. ] 

- keep working on Lojban parsers / glossers / translators.

- Talk to the EU Multilingual Information Society bureaucrats and get them
to fund the "Lojban for the Patent System" project. (They are spending
lots of money for quite useless proprietary translation software
projects)

-phm