Subject: Re: [lojban] 2 maths questions

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 12:39:07 +0300

Jorge Llambias wrote:
> It is of course possible to define some new mathematical function
> that assigns to the integers twice the value that it assigns
> the even numbers (the function proposed taking limits is
> probably the best),

Here is another: What is the probability that any randomly chosen
integer number is even? Answer: 1/2. To compare the thicknesses
of any two sets, divide the two probabilities. So {n | n is not
divisible by 3} is twice as thick as {n | n is}, because a random
number is twice more likely not to be divisible by 3 than to be.
Slightly more concise than the version with the limits.

> but what do we want it for?

Don't we all love mathematical fallacies?

Rob Speer wrote:
> I'm surprised there isn't already a lujvo for "prime number". How about:
> 
> ralnamcu (ralju+namcu) x1 is a prime number of mathematical field x2
> by convention x3

I think I would interpret that as `base of number system' or something.
There are many ways in which a number can be principal/chief.

Incidentally, in Russian prime numbers are called (lit.) `simple
numbers'. Makes sense, since the antonym is `composite numbers'.
(So that's `simple' as in `composed of a single part or unit', not
as `not difficult or complicated'.)

michael helsem wrote:
> puzuku mi pilno lu narselfendi li'u

This one seems optimal. I take it divisibility by one and oneself
can be conventionally ignored?

--Ivan