Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Tashunkekokipapi - Man-afraid-of his-horses

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:33:55 -0400

"Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" wrote:

> No, I think the grammar's above example tries to express "I see
> Man-Who-is-Afraid-of-His-Horse(s) (i.e. Tasunkekokipapi)",
> yet this is not the real meaning of the historical names "Man-afraid
> -of-his-horses" and "Young-man-afraid-of-his-horses".

Ah, I think I see. You mean that a better translation of the original name
would have been "Man such that they are afraid of his horses".

> So, the grammar book's above example *grammatically* is okay (and I
> never dared to criticize this!), but - like very often - the
> famous proper name's meaning is given erroneously and hence should be
> altered.

Excellent point.

> What I also wanted to know was whether the construction "la poi..."
> instead e.g. "la nanmu poi...") is allowed!

It is allowed if there is a selbri *after* the relative clause, which then
must be closed properly. But you cannot omit the selbri altogether.

-- 

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com
Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)