Subject: Re: `even' (Re: [lojban] Re: Tashunkekokipapi)

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:10:13 PDT

la aulun cusku di'e

>Although I like /ji'acai/, I still feel that surprise somehow is part
>of "even".

Yes, there is an element of surprise in the sense that any
least likely candidate is the most surprising one. But in
my opinion this is not {ue}-surprise, but something much more
subtle. {ue} is all about the speaker, the speaker's reaction
to what is being expressed. "Even" is about the marked sumti
(or selbri) with respect to the other relevant candidates.
With {ue} the speaker is showing how they are affected by
what is being said. With "even" the speaker is not showing
any emotional reaction, only a description of a situation.
It is of course possible to combine both, but not necessary
nor applicable in all cases.

>I once thought of /.ueji'a/ or even /.ueji'acai/

I think {ji'a} definitely has to be the basis of "even".
{ue} is clearly compatible with it, but it doesn't really
add the notion of reaching to the limit. It has to do with
the speaker's reaction and not with what the speaker is
describing as such.

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com