Subject: Re: cmufla

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 07:33:35 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Daniel Gudlat" <d.gudlat@r...> wrote:
> la pier cusku di'e
> 
> > Is there a way to distinguish in Lojban between Grundgesetz and
> Verfassung?
> 
> Why should there be? As far as I can tell these are two different
words
> for absolutely the same concept. Now, you could quite conceivably
come
> up with two different tanru/lujvo, one for Grundgesetz/basic law,
the
> other for Verfassung/constitution, but why would anyone want to make
> things as complicated as that?

Daniel is right (and wrong): 
the word "Grundgesetz" was specially created after WW2 in the German
Federal Republic (*not* whole Germany!) to avoid the 
expression "Verfassung" and stress the *provisory* character of this
special kind of constitution. Very few people really were 
aware of this purpose and the different semantics. Now the
"Provisorium" has been "zementiert" - and not only the word but also 
its contents have survived! Is it still worth/useful to remember the
different meanings? Maybe for historians - writing in Lojban 
...

co'o mi'e .aulun.