Subject: Re: tertirxu

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:30:37 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Jorge Llambias" <jjllambias@h...> wrote:

> What I am finding difficult about Lojban is learning the right
> place structures. Any patterns that can be discovered are always
> full of exceptions, and the result is that I am usually not sure
> whether or not a given gismu has some mysterious trailing places
> that I am forgetting. For example, I had to check recently that
> {citka} had no third place, because even though I could not think
> of anything that could go there, I just wasn't sure. So even
> though I remember the gismu and its keyword, I'm still not confident
> that I know fully what the word means. If place structures were
> simpler and more regular this would not be such a problem.

Oh, this sounds very good in my ears, especially out of a Lojban
master's mouth!
Though I'm more and more appreciating Lojban for its huge capacity of
expressing things (e.g. the 'universe' of attitudinals able to 
concisely covering a whole psychologist's certificate) I really doubt
if it will be more than a means for a handful of high-key 
linguists and some other intellectuals interested. The main hurdle in
my opinion is the pretty complicated place structure system 
(much more than the logical and unambiguous base - because everybody
can pick out those parts necessary for his daily use and 
purpose respective). And .xorxes. surely is right too, mentioning the
'weird' places of /tirxu/ - it's like defining /nanmu/ as: x1 
is a man/human etc. of skin color x1 (or even: wearing a coat of
colour/pattern x2)...

BTW, one of my late male cat's 'hundreds' of names was Raeto-Roman
"grisch-cun-stribles" (grij.kun.ctriblys): How could that be 
in Lojban? rusytertirxu.?

What is /tartertirxu lanci/???

co'o mi'e .aulun.