Subject: Re: [lojban] force and pressure

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:30:50 -0400

>I don't like tricrplumu and grutrplumu. There is no reason
>at all to use an English word for them, is there? Borrowing
>computer terms from English may make sense, but a common
>fruit? Make a lujvo!

I found no prune, peach, cherry, almond, nectarine, or drupe in the gimste, and
all three plums are parts of other words. The English plum, like the German
Pflaume, comes from Latin prunum; I picked the English form simply off the top
of my head. Maybe I should prune my head.

>The advantage I see is consistency. And also the fact that
>words so created tend to be a little monstruous discourages
>overusing them, which I think is a Good Thing.

I think it argues against creating them that way. People will drop the rafsi
from the beginning of them, creating possibly ambiguous words, so we should
find other areas of fu'ivla space to put words in.

I don't mean that no fu'ivla should be created with rafsi as a base; take for
instance resrvarano "monitor lizard" which I made up a while back. "varano"
means "not at a small distance from him"; "monitor" means "device to watch
something with". Neither refers to a reptile without the appropriate morpheme
added.

phma