Subject: Re: [lojban] Fu'ivla of class MLONGENA

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:37:41 -0400

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> 
> I propose a class of fu'ivla with the structure CCVC/CVCV where C/C is not an
> initial consonant pair, none of the vowels is y, and the fifth letter is not r.
> The type of this class is {mlongena} "eggplant". Please let me know if the
> conditions are insufficient or any is unnecessary to prevent misparsing.

Brivla ending in CVCV are almost certainly legal. "y" is not permitted
in fu'ivla in any case, and the fifth-letter restriction prevents collision
with the type-3 algorithm. So this looks good.

An early version of the
current type-3 fu'ivla algorithm proposed a CVCV pseudo-rafsi for each
gismu, so that instead of kulnrblgaria (Bulgarian culture) we would have
blgariakulu or the like.

This scheme had the advantage of putting the more general term at the end,
analogous to tanru order. It was rejected because making people learn
a whole new set of pseudo-rafsi seemed like a Bad Thing.

-- 

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com
Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)