Subject: RE: SW again at last

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:38:50 EDT

Damn! I sent off my copy of Weigarrt along with a copy of The Book to the 
Carnap constructed langauge collection at UCLA and here he is turning up 
again. aUi (? - I can never remember what is capitalized and what not) is 
oligosynthetic alright but dubiously a langauge ("There is not grammar" the 
book says one place, meaning that it works a lot like German -- but the 
word-sentence distinction is hard to make.) It would certainly fail as an 
empiricist language since it contains several basic object words (roots, 
morphemes, whatever) and those highly abstract.

Don't forget Ogden & Richard's Basic English in the not-so-oligo synthetic 
languages.

"From the one came the two, from the two the three and from the three the 
10,000 things. Better stop at One." Two kinds of mystics have two kinds of 
objections to language. One side says language arbirarily slices up to 
absolute unity into things (see above -- one reading of "the two" is "I and 
it" and the third is "word", another puts "word" before even "I" - laudz as 
neo-platonist.) The other says it arbitrarily lumps distinct together. A 
white horse is not a horse (indeed, this horse is not a horse), everything is 
what it is and not another thing. There are not kinds, only idnviduals and 
those maybe only bundles and those bundles maybe only instantaneous in the 
purest sense. Real radical empiricists shouldn't talk (but write books of 
2000 characters anyhow -- and many much more).
So all agree the only thing to say is "Tatha", "Thus"