Subject: Re: Style in dialogues/conversation/communication

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:38:49 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Elrond <grey.havens@e...> wrote:
li'o
> in order to
> improve the language level in a context where socially "good"
lojban 
speech is
> required. In other words, while a simple "broda" is a correct
lojban 
bridi,
> would/should a VeryImportantPerson use this kind of sentences in 
very "serious"
> discussions ? 

on reflection, i think you are asking how to express a distinction 
which is conveyed in english (& others) by grammatical & vocabulary 
(e.g. latinate versus anglosaxon) changes. 

but lojban uses what i call "cartouches", FU'E-....FU'O
constructions, 
for this information (& in fact we can choose between the various 
different natural-language meanings it conveys):

hauteur- FU'EGA'I(SAI)
dignity- FU'EI'INAI or FU'EO'ENAI
scientific detachment- FU'ERO'ECAI
(legal) definition- FU'E(RO'A)CA'E

ktp