Subject: Re: [lojban] World-historical and religious figures in Lojban

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:14:27 +0300

[email-masked] wrote:
> There is the further question of then and now -- should we try
> to get the way the ancient person would have said it or the way
> it is said at his home now.

As a general policy (subject to deviating from where appropriate),
I'd say the former if we can reconstruct it with reasonable
certainty, otherwise the latter.

> God (well, Karlgren) only knows what K'ung Ch'iu called himself
> or how he would have pronounced his honorific "master teacher".

Or rather how his disciples would have pronounced it.

> Lojban has, I think, settled this one for the modern version
> kunfudz (but I expect to hear from aulun and ivan to the contrary
> instanter).

My only problem with {kunfu,dz} is one I think I have stated before:
I'd like some sort of guarantee that the licence to break up
consonant clusters by a buffer vowel isn't valid for affricates.
If there is a risk of that being sounded as {kunfudIz}, I vote
for {kunfu,z.} instead.

(What was the story about {-,dz.}? Is that acceptable? If not,
I'll suggest {kunfu'ydz.}.)

--Ivan