Subject: Re: [lojban] World-historical and religious figures in Lojban

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:06:09 +0300

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Ivan A Derzhanski wrote:
> >I'm always annoyed by the way Nahuatl final _tl_ (as in the name
> >of Popocatepetl the volcano, or the language itself) is rendered
> >in Bulgarian as _tøl_ (with a schwa in the middle).
[...]
> In Nahuatl, -tl is a grammatical ending,

You and I know that (and the implication that it can be safely
truncated when the name is used in another language), but news
agencies don't.

> but how would you Lojbanize names like Tlaxcala?

Perhaps {tackalad.}, since Nahuatl _tl_ is from _t_ that became
lateralised in certain positions? Or {.ytlackalad.}, applying
the tried Arabic method of handling initial consonant clusters?

> >It's three syllables in Chinese; I want that to come across.
> 
> How about kunfudzyz and juanzyz?

There may be a case for those: the final syllable is a _z_
(pinyin; that is, an (almost) unvoiced unaspirated sibilant
affricate) followed by something like a vocalic [z] (IPA).
What say you, Alfred?

> I suggest iecu,ys. [...] What did the Celts say?

What did the Celts say about what? In Irish/Scottish Gaelic,
if that's what you mean, the name of the fellow is _Íosa_/_Ìosa_,
pronounced [i:(@)s@] with an evanescent glide before the [s].

--Ivan