Subject: Re: [lojban] World-historical and religious figures in Lojban

From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 2000 15:50:44 -0000

>Organization: Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science
>From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:06:09 +0300
>
>Pierre Abbat wrote:
>> but how would you Lojbanize names like Tlaxcala?
>
>Perhaps {tackalad.}, since Nahuatl _tl_ is from _t_ that became
>lateralised in certain positions? Or {.ytlackalad.}, applying
>the tried Arabic method of handling initial consonant clusters?

*baps Ivan on the head with a rolled-up ju'i lobypli*

Watch your {la} in cmene!! The first one is {.ytlackalad.} is okay since
it has a consonant before it, but the second one is still naughty.

>> I suggest iecu,ys. [...] What did the Celts say?
>
>What did the Celts say about what? In Irish/Scottish Gaelic,
>if that's what you mean, the name of the fellow is _Íosa_/_Ìosa_,
>pronounced [i:(@)s@] with an evanescent glide before the [s].

For some unknown reason, Jesus' name is the only personal proper noun in
Welsh which gets the definite article: Yr Iesu (note that u in Welsh is
pronounced /i/ or /barred-i/, depending on where in Wales you're from, but
never /u/). I'm remembering something about how the name Iosa (with
whatever accent) is unusual in Irish Gaelic; something mentioned in an old
book on Irish from the 1930s, but I can't remember what and I can't find
the book at the moment.

~mark