Subject: Re: learning lojban

From: "Garrett Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:29:37 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "David Twery" <dbtwery@b...> wrote:
> Since English is one of the languages used to make the gismu, most
of the
> gismu contain two or more letters from the English word.
> 
> A lot of times, that final vowel will be somewhere in the English
word.
> blanu -- blue
> xunre -- red
> zifre -- free
> logji -- logic

More than half the time that's not true, though. Those are the cases i
have trouble with. Some of the more memorable examples are vacri
[air], cidja [food], xrula [flower], and xekri [black]. The consonants
are always easier to remember than the vowels for some reason. Is that
an affect of being a native speaker of english, where the consonant
sounds outnumber the vowels?

> I'd also suggest that you not worry too much about the places. Once
you
> learn the keywords, simply using and reading Lojban will allow you
to pick
> that up a lot easier. This isn't to say that the place structures
are not
> important; it's just more important to get a "toehold" on that
mountain of a
> list.

Yeah, i plan on learning the list before the details. However once i
have the list down, i don't want to keep looking up words to find out
what that one obscure place means...

> Learning 360 words in less than a week is an impressive
accomplishment. Even
> if you cut back to 100 words per week, you should be doing well in
Lojban
> inside a couple months ... good luck!
> 
> --d

danke. If i keep up the pace i have now, i will learn all the gismu in
a total of 20 days, in under three weeks... what's the fastest
anyone's done before?