Subject: Re: [lojban] Just in case you're interested

From: "James F. Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:28:56 -0700 (PDT)

For those of you who receive your mail on a UNIX system that you have a
shell account on, and who have procmail installed, here's a quick fix for
the stupid advertisements. Someone pointed out that ads sent back to the
list were getting mangled, so in what follows let SOA (start of
advertisement) represent tilde hyphen tilde greaterthan, and EOA = hyphen
underbar hyphen greaterthan. (You can see these at the start and end of
the advt.) Create this file as $HOME/.procmailrc (procmail looks for this
by default).

:0 BfW
*--------------------SOA
*--------------------EOA
|sed -e '/--------------------SOA/,/--------------------EOA/d'

This causes the mail to be filtered deleting from the start to the end of
(each) advertisement. When they change the advt. boundary markers, change
the match strings accordingly, but these are Extended Regular Expressions,
so any metacharacters have to be escaped.

Then create $HOME/.forward containing the line:

| /usr/local/bin/procmail

(Find out where procmail is actually installed on your own system.) And it
works! (Do send a test message to yourself to be completely sure.) If
your system delivers mail using procmail you can omit .forward, as it will
be sensitive to $HOME/.procmailrc without extra stimulation. We did this
in order to recognize and toss out Love Bug messages.

I asked a co-worker how a similar effect could be obtained with Microsoft
Outlook. Apparently Outlook can't edit the body of a message. Too bad,
non-UNIX users.

I sent a polite but firm message of opinion to [email-masked].

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897	FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Internet: [email-masked] (finger for PGP key)
UUCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc

On 30 Aug 2000, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> 
> >From: Elrond <[email-masked]>
> >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:15:09 +0200 (CET)
> >
> 
> Bleah. They've started putting the ad at the *top* of the messages instead
> of the bottom!
> 
> ~mark
> 
> To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]
>