Subject: Rhyming Lists (Was: Re: [lojban] Re: learning lojban)

From: "David Twery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:18:38 -0400

> From: Garrett Jones <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, 30 August 2000 11:18
>
<snip>
> Inspired by you (Michael Helsem), I just wrote a perl script in about 15
minutes that
> will list these automatically using the gismu wordlist:
<snip>

If anyone is interested in doing this on a spreadsheet, in a word-processor
table, (or is, God forbid, a Microsoft user,) here's a non-Perl way to do
it:

1: Make a copy of the gismu list in the adjacent column. Call it "rhyme".
2: With this copy, search-and-replace every NON-vowel in the "rhyme" column
with a hyphen, asterisk, or other non-alphabetic character.
3: Sort on that column ("rhyme").
4: If you want to distinguish between single and double consonant rhymes,
you will also have to replace the single non-alpha characters with "1" and
the doubles with "2", sort again, and re-convert.

I programmed a short (10-15 lines) VBA macro to do it, but also did it
completely manually with WordPerfect 5.0 some years ago. The macro is of
course faster, but even going through the S&R routine 20 times (once for
each consonant) shouldn't take more than ten minutes or so.

Your columns should look something like:

gismu --- rhyme --- keyword

This method also works to produce lists of rhymed rafsi, cmene, fu'ivla,
and, best of all, lujvo.

--d