Subject: Re: [lojban] lojban nickname

From: "David Twery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:10:01 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Garrett Jones <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, 31 August 2000 03:38

> i want to make myself a lojban nickname. My normal internet nickname
> is "alkaline" (as in the battery), so i was thinking something along
> those lines. I looked through the gismu list and found a couple words
> that would be useful in a compound (lujvo?):
>
> jilka - alkali/base
> livla - energy source
>
> Now to combine them together, i assume you use the three letter forms
> of these words, but that comes out a little funny looking: "jillil". A
> few too many l's there. any solutions?

Two consecutive same consonants are "illegal" in Lojban orthography. You can
fix these problems by adding a "verbal hyphen" -- y.

jillil --> jilylil

But you might want to go for a three-part cmene which avoids the y --

jildiclil

jilka - alkali/base
dikca - electrical
livla - energy source

This would also give a possible lujvo for an alkaline battery --
jildiclivla. (I'd personally prefer "jilka cmadiclivla" -- alkaline
small-electrical-energy source).

--d