Subject: Re: [lojban] useful tools

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:44:38 -0400

At 08:01 PM 08/30/2000 -0400, Invent Yourself wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 [email-masked] wrote:
> > i agree with pycyn's comment to elrond. i use windows almost exclusively,
> > with my sole remaining forays into dos being for logflash and 
> zork. i'd like
> > to see something for lojban like the pojwI' program for klingon. it gives
> > glosses in the same order as the original text, making it much easier 
> to read
> > and study. yes, it is more of a crutch, but at least i still use it, 
> which
> > is more than i can say for the glosser program, good as it is.
> > steven lytle
>
>The last and only time I tried a Lojban glosser program, instead of
>getting a crude English sentence I got a bizarre graph that looked like a
>perl script, with ascii lines and braces all over the thing. I was so
>horrified that I have never tried any more ever since.

That sounds like the old version of Nora's parser/glosser, which took 
Cowan's "official" parser's parenthesized output (the parentheses are 
produced by the parser and show the levels of nesting for grammar 
structures; braces and brackets are alternated with parentheses) and lines 
the English up with the Lojban words in that parenthesized output. It of 
course MUST be used with a fixed font or nothing will line up, but since it 
is a DOS program, fixed font should be the norm.

The new version, which should be the one on lojban.org, does not leave the 
parentheses in, and the only symbols are braces around the case tags that 
label the place structures. You might want to take a look if you can stand 
a sickly DOS program.

What I don't know is how this compares with jbofi'e.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org