Subject: Re: [lojban] learning lojban [2]

From: John Leuner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:14:04 -0200 (GMT+2)

> after learning about 500 words now (in about a week), it's becoming
> easier to remember the individual words and not get their vowels
> confused. I guess i'm getting used to lojban morphology now. However,
> i don't know very much of the grammar yet. I'm reading through the
> reference grammar, and am less than halfway through. How many people
> have actually used the text book instead of the reference grammar to
> learn lojban? I won't attempt very much lojban until i've read through
> most of it... How many people are there that know all of the gismu, by
> the way? I can't honestly say i know all the gismu i've learned well,
> i just know their forms. But by using them, i shall truely *know*
> them...

How do you know you *know* them? You can only be sure when you do a
complete randomized run (reorder all the words) and get about 95-100% on
recognition and recall. 

I also had difficulty remembering the final vowel of gismu. 

I'm also learning lojban (probably slightly ahead of you), so far I
haven't used the textbook but will print it out for later reference. 

I found the mini-lessons useful, skimmed over the mini grammar and am now
on Chapter 10 of the reference grammar. 

Is there any suggested order of reading for the Reference Grammar for
learning purposes?

co'o mi'e la djon.