Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: learning lojban [2]

From: John Leuner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:56:17 -0200 (GMT+2)

> > How do you know you *know* them? You can only be sure when you do a
> > complete randomized run (reorder all the words) and get about
> 95-100% on
> > recognition and recall. 
> > 
> > I also had difficulty remembering the final vowel of gismu. 
> > 
> > I'm also learning lojban (probably slightly ahead of you), so far I
> > haven't used the textbook but will print it out for later
> reference. 
> > 
> > I found the mini-lessons useful, skimmed over the mini grammar and
> am now
> > on Chapter 10 of the reference grammar. 
> > 
> > Is there any suggested order of reading for the Reference Grammar
> for
> > learning purposes?
> > 
> > co'o mi'e la djon.
> 
> I don't suppose i know them that well, but i guess right now i'm at
> least trying to get familiar with all of the words so i will at least
> when i come across some word i will remember that i memorized it at
> one point, and when i look it up again, it will stick in my head and i
> will remember it. 

I started with logflash on the 25 of July, so I've been using it just over
a month. I found I constantly had to juggle between getting through the
whole set of words (becoming familiar with the whole set) and learning
each word thoroughly. 

I'm at the stage now where I've opted to get a broader knowledge of the
set of gismu as opposed to 0 errors. 

Right now I'm able to do recognition testing on about 600 words a day,
getting about 70% on groups of 50. This is much more pleasant than the 100
or so I was able to learn per day in the beginning. 

The next challenge is to start doing a few hundred words per day in
recollection mode.

> That text book is pretty long though, isn't it? it would take quite a
> bit of paper to print that sucker out... 

I'm busy looking at the blinking orange "out of paper" light on my
printer. I'll have to get another ream. 

I printed out the reference grammar, it's well worth it (unless you can
afford to buy it). I carry the chapters around with me for some quick
studying when I get free time. 

>I don't think i've seen the
> mini lessons or mini grammar yet.

Look for the "learning lojban" link from the main page. 

> I'm reading through chapter 9 of the
> reference grammar right now. I think i've prolly forgotten already a
> lot of what i read, so i will have to go over it all twice or look
> over my notes (i right down all the stuff i think is important so i
> don't have to depend on the webpage for reference).

Yes I'm sure I will be reading those grammar chapters again, but it's nice
to get an overall feel for what's going on. At least when you see a
sentence you can say "Oh that's a tense marker", even if you don't know
exactly what it is. 

> As for an order of reading the reference grammar,
well, it's
a > reference, so it's not ordered for learning i don't think... but as
> far as i can tell the more basic concepts are at the beginning, so
> sequential order would prolly work as well or better than any other...

Yes, but I think there may be some stuff that should probably be skipped
on a first run through.

> - co'o mi'e la jildicnen

> ps the way you signed your name ('djon') rhymes with the english word
> 'drone'...

Well I intend it to be a short 'o', as in (British) "on" as opposed to
"phone". 

John