Subject: Re: learning lojban [2]

From: "Garrett Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:56:13 -0000

> I started with logflash on the 25 of July, so I've been using it
just over
> a month. I found I constantly had to juggle between getting through
the
> whole set of words (becoming familiar with the whole set) and
learning
> each word thoroughly. 
> 
> I'm at the stage now where I've opted to get a broader knowledge of
the
> set of gismu as opposed to 0 errors. 
> 
> Right now I'm able to do recognition testing on about 600 words a
day,
> getting about 70% on groups of 50. This is much more pleasant than
the 100
> or so I was able to learn per day in the beginning. 
> 
> The next challenge is to start doing a few hundred words per day in
> recollection mode.

Is that learning 600 new words a day or recognizing the words you
already knew? And does Logflash go both ways (lojban -> english and
english -> lojban)? I can't try it out right now because the only
computer i have access to is my work computer here. And is it just
gismu you're learning or is it also lujvo?

> > That text book is pretty long though, isn't it? it would take
quite a
> > bit of paper to print that sucker out... 
> 
> I'm busy looking at the blinking orange "out of paper" light on my
> printer. I'll have to get another ream. 
> 
> I printed out the reference grammar, it's well worth it (unless you
can
> afford to buy it). I carry the chapters around with me for some
quick
> studying when I get free time. 

I could print it out on the company printer here... *glances over his
right shoulder*

> > I'm reading through chapter 9 of the
> > reference grammar right now. I think i've prolly forgotten already
a
> > lot of what i read, so i will have to go over it all twice or look
> > over my notes (i right down all the stuff i think is important so
i
> > don't have to depend on the webpage for reference).
> 
> Yes I'm sure I will be reading those grammar chapters again, but
it's nice
> to get an overall feel for what's going on. At least when you see a
> sentence you can say "Oh that's a tense marker", even if you don't
know
> exactly what it is. 

> > As for an order of reading the reference grammar,
> well, it's
> a > reference, so it's not ordered for learning i don't think... but
as
> > far as i can tell the more basic concepts are at the beginning, so
> > sequential order would prolly work as well or better than any
other...
> 
> Yes, but I think there may be some stuff that should probably be
skipped
> on a first run through.

Yeah i skipped chapters 3 and 4 (about sounds and morphology) because
they weren't essential to understanding lojban. I'm going to check
them out later.

> > ps the way you signed your name ('djon') rhymes with the english
word
> > 'drone'...
> 
> Well I intend it to be a short 'o', as in (British) "on" as opposed
to
> "phone". 
> John

co'o mi'e la jildicnen