Subject: Re: [lojban] emacs etc.

From: John Leuner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:50:38 -0200 (GMT+2)

> > Depends on what you mean. Word may be very complex in some ways, but I can 
> > take it out of the box and get acceptable results knowing no more than basic 
> > typing skills. Admittedly its Help files suck, since they never call 
> > anything by the name I use for it, but I can usually get around to whatever I 
> > want eventually. The important point is that I can't use emacs until after 
> > that 2 hours of training and then I still have the hassle to get to those odd 
> > special cases. 
> 
>...

> 
> To get back to the original topic, Lojban support tools for Word would
> be terrific.

A point I didn't raise:

To develop for MS you first have to own a copy of Windows. Then you need a
development environment, most of these cost about $200 (a lot of money for
a poor student like me), unless you count cygwin, which is just UNIX on
Windows. 

I don't even know what it would cost to buy MS Word or Office, but I'm
simply not prepared to pay when my preferred environment is Linux. 

Add to this the fact that I'm writing software in my spare time on a
totally voluntary basis, it's just too much of an obstacle to write stuff
that works with Word.

co'o
John Leuner