Subject: Re: learning lojban [2]

From: "Garrett Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:37:56 -0000

--- In [email-masked], John Leuner <jewel@p...> wrote:

> > Is that learning 600 new words a day or recognizing the words you
> > already knew?
> 
> No! Just recognition testing. It means I test my recognition (Lojban
->
> english) on 600 words. 
> 
> Since I've been through the whole set I 'know' them all. (More
accurately
> 'am familiar').

I've been doing it manually: i copy down about 75 words each day while
i'm at work with internet access, then when i go home i memorize them
(both ways), write the words really small on a piece of paper to
review later, and the next day do it again. I'm up to over 800 words
now. I hope to be "familiar" with them all by next monday or tuesday.
Then i will start applying my knowledge by using lojban :)

> > And does Logflash go both ways (lojban -> english and
> > english -> lojban)?
> 
> Yes, recognition == (lobjan -> english)
> recollection == (english -> lojban)
> 
> > I can't try it out right now because the only
> > computer i have access to is my work computer here. And is it just
> > gismu you're learning or is it also lujvo?
> 
> The logflash I'm using just does gismu.
> 
> I think it's better to get the gismu well-learnt before going on to
lujvo. 

naturally :) I don't think i'm going to memorize lujvo like i am
gismu, because the the list of lujvo is potentially infinite (you can
make millions of compounds...) i will just memorize the lujvo that i
come accross.

> > I could print it out on the company printer here... *glances over
his
> > right shoulder*
> 
> Just do it A/H. I've started using the textbook too (read chapter 1
> twice). There's a lot of overlap between the textbook, reference
grammar
> and mini-lessons, but this is an excellent way of reinforcing stuff
that
> would be too boring to read twice. 

I'll take a look at the textbook after i've finished the reference
grammar. I'm in chapter 10, and my, that's a beast of a chapter.

> co'o

co'o mi'e jildicnen