Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: learning lojban [2]

From: John Leuner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:21:14 -0200 (GMT+2)

> > > Is that learning 600 new words a day or recognizing the words you
> > > already knew?
> > 
> > No! Just recognition testing. It means I test my recognition (Lojban
> ->
> > english) on 600 words. 
> > 
> > Since I've been through the whole set I 'know' them all. (More
> accurately
> > 'am familiar').
> 
> I've been doing it manually: i copy down about 75 words each day while
> i'm at work with internet access, then when i go home i memorize them
> (both ways), write the words really small on a piece of paper to
> review later, and the next day do it again. I'm up to over 800 words
> now. I hope to be "familiar" with them all by next monday or tuesday.
> Then i will start applying my knowledge by using lojban :)

I recommend that at some stage you use logflash, especially if you can
type reasonably fast. It allows you to run through lots of words really
fast, and you can't cheat. 

I don't know how to explain it, but when I study stuff I find that forcing
myself to write it down really helps with learning. The same goes for
typing in your answer when using logflash. 

Admittedly at university I often just read works briefly before an exam
and that's enough, but since I intend to remember lojban for a long time I
feel it's better to exercise the whole visual-hand-coordination system. 

Switching topics:

It always amused me that in letters and emails people will signoff with
something like:

Bye, John

or 

Bye 
John

where it was obvious that the writer was signing his name at the bottom
and not saying "Bye John!". 

I'm glad lojban doesn't have this kind of potential ambiguity

co'o mi'e la djon.