Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: emacs, etc.

From: Jim Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:10:40 -0700 (PDT)

I really shouldn't be participating in an off-topic religious war (again),
but... I've found that scripting languages with graphic capabilities are
very powerful. My "favorite" is tcl/tk (bizarre syntax in some ways, but
has a very complete widget set and a packer/placer that works), and my
productivity using it is much higher than if I tried to code the same apps
in "C". I've also had good results with perl/tk (a perl interface to the 
same widget set via the TK module).

tcl/tk runs natively on Windows and Mac, although I personally haven't
actually run my apps on those operating systems (they wouldn't be useful).
I believe other popular scripting languages also run cross-platform.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897	FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Internet: [email-masked] (finger for PGP key)
UUCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Lex Spoon wrote:

> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> > << Microsoft makes it hard for people to develop applications that
> > run well both on Windows and non-Windows. >>
> > Whereas Linux, say, makes it easy to develop something that runs on that 
> > system as well as Windows and Macs? Hooohah! 
> 
> 
> Actually, yes, with the exception that Macs (I hear) have very stringent
> coding guidelines. If you just make an effort to be portable, it's not a huge
> amount of extra effort. If nothing else, you can use wine to
> make a windows-like program that will run on both Linux and Windows. 
> 
> 
> It's just that not many programmers bother.
> 
> 
> -Lex
> 
> To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]
>