Subject: Re: Eating glass, events, and rape

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:35:03 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@k...> wrote:

> Moving on abruptly to rape. For no satisfactory reason, I was
puttering
> with translating "rape" into Lojban, and generally non-consent. 
> 
> OK. So I'm wandering through my gi'uste in a boring class. Let's
say I
> want to stick with {gletu} as the tertau: some sort of forced,
> non-consensual copulation (as opposed to other possible
interpretations of
> "rape"). Well, generally, finding a word for "non-consensual"
isn't easy!
> {zifre} is glossed as "willingly," but its definition doesn't mean
that; I
> can't take {tolzifre} to mean "unwillingly" but "required." 
Similar, the
> simpler {bapli} implies that it was forced... but not that it was
> unwilling. I can force you to do something you want, too. We need
the
> (futile) *resistance* to such force in this case (and similar more
common
> and less extreme situations too, of course). {tugni} isn't the
right kind
> of "consent"; nor {sarxe}. Hmm... Now that I've stated it as
dependent on
> resistance, what do you think of {se fapro gletu}, "opposed." That
could
> work. Other choices include {vlile}--which could just mean violent
but
> consensual, or {zekri}, which could mean incest or statutory rape,
not
> non-consensual. Something like {palci} is a value judgement, and
makes a
> statement rather than describes... maybe it could be understood,
but it
> isn't the point, at least not the one I was looking at.

>From my (German) legal view, I'd tend to /se fapro gletu/ (after a
first glance, at least). "unwillingly" is essential, yet not 
sufficient, "forced" doesn't hit the point, because being not precise
enough. There has to be an *opponent will*, *expressed* (and *
understood* by the referent/agent of the verb) and *broken* (or at
least extinguished) by some means specified (force/
threatening). This seems to be expressed adequately in /se fapro/ 
x1 opposes/balances/contends against opponent(s) x2 (person/force
ind./mass) about x3 (abstract)
copulation of sort having to do with a person/a force being opposed
by x2

.aulun.