Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: RE:rape, etc.

From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Sep 2000 19:04:21 -0000

>User-Agent: eGroups-EW/0.82
>From: "=?iso-8859-1?q?Alfred_W._Tueting_(T=FCting)?=" <[email-masked]>
>Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:50:11 -0000

>Please do not base your tanru creation on AMERICAN law (which very,
>very often is weird enough, although you're accustomed to it 
>- and also have no chance not to be ;) - this doesn't seem to be
>lojbanic philosophy either. 
>I now see that there can't be kind of legal definition - we have to
>be fuzzy and just call it "criminal copulation" /zekri gletu/ 
>(zergletu) and leave it to the user what he/she (i.e. his/her state's
>law) defines as criminal sexual intercourse.

Maybe that's a working definition for "rape"... but it isn't what I was
asking for. I wanted "non-consensual sex," and while I did use "rape" as a
synonym, I did say so.

In many cultures, "zergletu" would probably include mostly incest, not so
much rape as we know it.

~mark