Subject: Re: [lojban] How to say 'outside' with a cmavo?

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:32:35 +0100

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:28:00PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> In a message dated 00-09-18 18:56:37 EDT, ritcyd writes:
> 
> << "I saw him outside the house" would be
> 
> mi pu viska ko'a ??? le zdani >>
> 
> Quite aside from the problem of "outside," this is a trick sentence. I 
> *think* that putting anything in for the question marks ends up putting the 
> seeing, not him, outside the house (well, not only him). I *think* you need 
> a {n/p oi} before the FAhA. But, of course, you *may* mean to say that you 
> and the seeing were outside, too. 

OK, you're right about what happens if the property only applies to
'him', I think. I realised this kind of issue applies to the sentence 

I saw her through the window

where the 'through' definitely applies to the 'seeing' and not to 'her'.

So, what happens if both people and the action occurs outside?

mi viska ko'a ca le nu mi'a cu bartu le zdani

would do I think, but is there a shorter way?

> {bartu},- but {ba'u} is otherwise -- and oddly -- engaged).

Yes, I noticed this 'inconsistency' too.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare
United Kingdom http://go.to/richard.curnow/