Subject: Volunteering for dictionary work

From: Arnt Richard Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:34:04 +0200

I've looked through
<http://www.lojban.org/files/draft-dictionary/Working/>, and I'm
considering volunteering for preparing lujvo for the dictionary. I have a
few questions though, as to what needs to be done, and how.

1. Is the task to write keywords and place structures of new lujvo, in the
same format as the current computerized lujvo list
(http://www.lojban.org/files/draft-dictionary/NORALUJV.txt)? Or should all
lujvo, the new ones as well as the one already in the list, be written in a
new format, specifically for the paper dictionary? One would think that
lujvo definitions should be written out in full (as is done in the
computerized gismu list), instead of summarily referring to gismu places.
For instance, in the lujvo list, "cabdei" occurs like this:

cabdei cabna+djedi: today: x1 = djedi1 (full
day) = cabna1 (now), x2 = cabna2 (co-occurred with), x3 = djedi3 (full day
standard)

But shouldn't it be changed to look like this in an "ordinary" dictionary:

2. How should we find out (ma ve djuno) the meanings of the lujvo that
haven't been defined yet? As an example, take the word "vlatai", which has
occurred relatively often in the text corpus (34 times). I distinctly
remember using that particular word in a conversation with Jorge on the
list, intending it to mean "x1 is an inflected form of word/lexeme x2,
yielding meaning x3". Now, since I only have the eGroups archives handy,
it is difficult for me to find enough usage of it, so that I can be sure
that my interpretation of the word is indeed the most correct.