Subject: {za'o} in space

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:31:39 -0000

Remembering our discussions on the use of superfective {za'o} e.g.
"mi za'o klama la ralix" etc., I had never doubted that this had 
been correct, as I do now:
Shouldn't it had been e.g.: "mi *fe'e* za'o klama la ralix."?
>From the examples in p. 231, 11.4) (mi ve'abe'a fe'e *co'a* rokci) I
take it that the event contours of selma'o ZAhO (including 
{za'o}) are regarded as referring to time rather than to space, so a
"space interval modifier" (not my own expression!) FEhE is 
needed for {za'o} as well.
If my deduction is right, then the example on p. 233, 12.10) doesn't
seem to be correct either:
I'd read it instead: "le bloti pu *fe'e* za'o xelklama fe'e ba'o le
lalxu" 
(The boat had sailed too *farth* and - therefore - beyond the
lake=touching the coast). The mere *duration* of sailing wouldn't 
have caused the fatal accident ;)

I imagine that even the "even" problem could be affected by this
(since Jorge seems to regard/use {za'o} here also under a kind of 
spatial aspect (in the sense of reaching the boundaries of).

.aulun.