Subject: Re: {za'o} in space

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 17:26:16 -0000

--- In [email-masked], pycyn@a... wrote:
> Aulun makes a good point, but, since the cases cited are all
propositions of 
> locomotion, the change is not necessary (though clarifying). In
locomotion, 
> there is an automatic conversion between space and time, such that
(the 
> important case now) going on too long just is going too far and
conversely, 
> for the time of completion is defined by reaching a certain point. 
Going 
> past that point is going on too long, and going on beyond that time
is going 
> too far.

If at all, this is not expressed distinctly in the Book (except in
the chapter's nice drawing :)
Also the example on p. 233, 12.10) doesn't clear up this fuzziness,
in the contrary seems to support my point of view, as it 
translates:
le bloti pu za'o xelklama ("sailed for too *long*", i.e. in time)
fe'e ba'o le lalxu ("and beyond the lake", i.e. in space)
So the Book's English translation itself seems appropriate, but not
the utterance, which I would have expressed by le bloti pu fe'e 
za'o xelklama (the boat had sailed too far...)

ki'e mi'e .aulun.