Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: More questions on space (time) - was: Get Much Ca$h !

From: "Erik W. Cornilsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 21:04:07 -0600

>> >1) "one more time" (=pa ji'a roi) malglico?
>
>This may not be grammatical, though. I don't really
>understand where UIs are allowed and where they're not,
>this may be one of the places where they're not.

By my reading of the grammar, UIs are allowable anywhere. Quoting from
the third baseline (grammar.300):

e. Absorb all members of selma'o DAhO, FUhO, FUhE, UI, Y, and CAI
into the previous token. All of these null grammar tokens are permitted
following any word of the grammar, without interfering with that word's
grammatical function, or causing any effect on the grammatical
interpretation of any other token in the text. Indicators at the
beginning of text are explicitly handled by the grammar.

In a few places UIs will not have the same meaning: after a ZO or LOhU
the UI is part of the quoted text and doesn't indicate an attitude about
the quote marker; a ZEI makes an adjacent UI part of the resulting
virtual lujvo (not that I have any idea what that lujvo would actually
mean); and BU converts the preceding UI into a BY.

--
Erik W. Cornilsen
[email-masked]