Subject: Thoughts on a Lojban name?

From: "Deven T. Corzine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:46:11 -0400 (EDT)

[Greetings, all! I just joined this mailing list.]

I'm still fairly early in my study of Lojban, so I really don't feel like
I'm ready to accomplish this on my own. I thought I might others for help.

Let me explain. I have a computer program I wrote years ago, which serves
as a conferencing system ("chat" system) for many people on the Internet to
be able to talk to each other in real time, roughly similar to IRC. I've
been interested in devising a new name for the program for several years
now, but I haven't had much success with it.

It's most important that the name sound good, have the right "ring" to it,
and not be easily confused with other things. A straightforward domain
name being available would be a definite plus. Of course, I've looked for
English names, and the best one ever suggested to me was "Nexus". I loved
that name, and I'd like to use it, but for a few reasons, I'm not certain
if it will work out. (Including the fact that nexus.{org,net,com} are all
long gone.)

It occurred to me that it might also be possible to find (or construct) a
name in Lojban that might work, and it would be much more likely to be
available as a domain name, as well as being more distinctive and
memorable, but not hard to spell or pronounce (that would be bad). Since
I've only had time to read the first couple chapters of the Lojban book,
and I know very few Lojban words, I have no idea how to approach this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me (in Lojban OR English), or pointers
how to find or construct words that would be worth considering?

Deven