Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: except the cat

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 00:32:35 GMT

{ro da onai le mlatu}

la pycyn cusku di'e

>but presupposes an earlier
>rule, something of the sort X Qx ek L Y => X Qx Y ijek X x=L Y.

But if Q = ro and ek = onai that gives a contradiction,
always false, and thus can't be what we're after.

>Indeed, I suspect that a number of problems that are basically
>solvable by logical usage can be dealt with in these rules. But "even" 
>isn't
>one of them even though there is a theorem of logic that every property has 
>a
>least likely (and a most likely) participant. The problem is that "even"
>does not actually require the least likely thing, only a sufficiently
>unlikely one.

The "all but the cat" that I'm trying to translate is exactly
like "even the cat", except that the cat instead of being
included is excluded. The cat is the unlikeliest (or sufficiently
unlikely) limit in both cases. What constitutes "all" is defined
in a way by this limit.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.