Subject: Re: [lojban] New lujvo definitions in file area

From: "Daniel Gudlat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:39:46 +0200

coi rodo
.i la arnt cu cusku di'e

> My current efforths at defining new lujvo are now residing in the
> directory "Dictionary" in eGroups' file area. There are about 20
> new words there.
>
> I invite all interested parties to review them, and make changes
> and comments as appropriate.

Just a few quick off-the-top-of-my-head comments, me being short on time
and all that...:

> flaglibau law+English+language: legalese

Sounds like a plausible gloss, until you discover that legalese
transcends language barriers. :-( So, legalese should IMHO be something
like derogatory+law+language (malflabau ?) As to what else flaglibau
could mean, I'm stumped.

> ga'ormolsna closed+mouth+sound: consonant:

I don't like that one at all. For one thing (and I know I may be going
down the picky route here) only one consonant is pronounced with a
closed mouth (m), and to me, "humming" is the most plausible parse for
this, in that it was the first to come to mind.

> glezdi copulate+amusing: dirty joke: x1 = zdile1
> (amusing), x2 = zdile2 (amused) (ARJ: Huh? Copulate-amusing???
> I have no idea if this is the correct interpretation, but it has
> a frequency count of 66, so it has to be important!)

This once again confirms the importance of gletu for the lojban
community ;-). I feel that a "dirty joke" would have to be formed on the
basis of xajmi. I would look for glezdi (amusement having to do with
copulation) in the red light district... Maybe glezdi could form a
culturally neutral way for expressing such words?

> jaurvasmro water+breathe+dead: drown: x1 = morsi1 (dead)
> = vasxu1 (breathe), x2 = djacu1 (water) = vasxu2 (breathed)
> (ARJ: Can drowning be accurately described as "dying as a result
> of breathing water"?)

No. AFAIK, drowning is "dying as a result of _not breathing_ while
submerged under water". There are reflexes which prevent us from
breathing water, by closing the larynx. Thus, the water found in the
lungs of drowned people in most cases enters _after_ they've died...
Although "drowning" probably is what was meant here...

Bye,
--
Daniel Gudlat
[email-masked]
"people who quote, unlike people who are quoted, are aware of what they
are doing" the Lojban Reference Grammar (Online Version)