Subject: Re: krefu etc.

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:54:42 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Jorge Llambias" <jjllambias@h...> wrote:
> 
> There is a recurrence, namely of (part of) the name of the day,
> the date. I think {detke'u} (detri krefu) is better than
> anything involving {djedi}. The place structure would be:
> 
> detke'u: k1 (k2=d1) k3 d2 [d3] d4
> x1 is the x2'nd anniversary (date recurrence) of
> event x3 [at location x4] by calendar x5.

German language, although comparably poor in switching nouns to verbs
(without alteration - like in English), has a nice verbal 
expression for "anniversary": it's "sich jähren" (Jahr=year) of
verb type AP/F-s. (The fictive English verb "to year" would be of 
type P/F-s). So, the sentence: "Sein Todestag jährt sich heuer zum
drittenmal" (This year, his day of death is *yearing* for the 
third time) is a lot more elegant German than the equivalent of "this
is the 3rd anniversary of ...". (BTW, it would be pretty 
unusual to say this German phrase referring to a "birthday", though.)
In lojban, the semantics of {nanca} is fixed, so is the gismu's
functionality. There is no help playing around (i.e. switching place 
structures) with it. So there is need of a tanru or lujvo.
Why not {nancake'u} (nanca+krefu)? What would be "the *annual*
recurrence" (of what have you, in a cyclic dimension)?
x1 (event) is nancake'u ("yearing"=annually recurring) for the x2-th
time (number) ...

.aulun.