Subject: Re: [lojban] xebni

From: Olivia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

> >In American usage, we use the two almost interchangeably. It would not
> >make sense to hear anyone say "I don't hate him, I despise him.".
> 
> Actually, I've heard exactly that usage more than once.

me too....in fact i thought it might even be a movie quote! but in the
imdb, the only interesting one i found was this:

Ugarte: You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but
somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.

what a film!

> The only reason seems to be that, having two syllables, you can inject a
> lot more hate-sound into 'despise', i.e. it's only a difference of
> scale. The difference in quality is, as you say, not used generally in
> American usage.

i think a qualitative difference does actually come through. despise has
an extra connotation of 'looking down on with disdain' or 'scorn from
above'....

which makes sense because according to dictionary.com despise comes from a
latin/greek root that means 'seeing'....

olivia

-- 
My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.......