Subject: Re: New lujvo definitions in file area

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:54:43 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Daniel Gudlat" <d.gudlat@r...> wrote:
> coi rodo
> .i la arnt cu cusku di'e
> 
> > My current efforths at defining new lujvo are now residing in the
> > directory "Dictionary" in eGroups' file area. There are about 20
> > new words there.
> >
> > I invite all interested parties to review them, and make changes
> > and comments as appropriate.

> > jaurvasmro water+breathe+dead: drown: x1 = morsi1 (dead)
> > = vasxu1 (breathe), x2 = djacu1 (water) = vasxu2 (breathed)
> > (ARJ: Can drowning be accurately described as "dying as a result
> > of breathing water"?)
> 
> No. AFAIK, drowning is "dying as a result of _not breathing_ while
> submerged under water". There are reflexes which prevent us from
> breathing water, by closing the larynx. Thus, the water found in the
> lungs of drowned people in most cases enters _after_ they've died...
> Although "drowning" probably is what was meant here...

I do not know how "to drown" is expressed in Norwegian, but I'd guess
it connotes about the way it does in German: "ertrinken" 
(which is er-trinken=to drink oneself to death with water - parallel
with "erschlagen", er-schlagen=to beat to death etc. ).
Certainly, {jaurvasmro} doesn't give the process of drowning in the
view of, say, a forensic pathologist, yet the "common idea" 
behind is not too far-fetched.
Instead of creating fully descriptive lujvo, why not coin short and
expressive ones like (in this case) using the main keyword 
coming into mind: death and water/water and death?
How about simply {djacu+morsi} -> {jaumro} -> {nunjaumro} ?

.aulun.