Subject: Re: looking at arjlujv.txt

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:07:16 -0000

--- In [email-masked], pycyn@a... wrote:
> It looks like rampant literalism is loose again (much as I hate to 
accuse 
> maikl of this). 
li'o
se srana zoigy. "In general, however, the meaning of a tanru is
determined by the literal meaning of its components, and not by any 
connotations or figurative meanings." (2.9)gy.

>These puppies used to be 
>called 
> metaphors for a good reason. 

zi'o krinu .i glijbo

(Seriously, there is NO way to assess the truth-value of a statement 
if any unmarked gismu can be either literal or figurative. (If there 
were no other Sapir-Whorf effect than that Lojban forced us to become 
aware of this demarcation, that would still be plenty.)

Even more is this necessary in devising lujvo than in tanru...)