Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: RE:literalism

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:33:22 GMT

la pycyn cusku di'e

> > zo galdinju cu banzu>>
> > But is it? For a really really tall building?

That would be {galgaldinju} if we follow the pattern of
{brabracrida).

> > ( the whole structure of insult here being
> > mal-esperanto).

How does Esperanto come into it? This kind of calque is actually
common in Esperanto, it has "chielskrapulo" for "skyscraper".

> > In any case, "sky-scraper" was pretty darn good when it was
> > invented and something along its lines would have been good in Lojban 
>but for
> > the historical accident that allows the insults to fly.

It is definitely a nice metaphor, but I feel it goes somehow
against the spirit of Lojban. Perhaps I will be proved wrong.

la xod cusku di'e

>(I always thought "skyscraper" was a good designation for an
>airliner. After all, they do make a scraping sound.)

Yes, I tried to imagine what I would think a "skyscraper"
was if I didn't know, and I also thought of airplanes,
as well as of windmills. I'm not sure a very tall building
would be my first choice.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.