Subject: Re: RE:literalism

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:58:40 -0000

--- In [email-masked], pycyn@a... wrote:

<How does Esperanto come into it? >>
aside from confirming that "sky scraper" and its calques are the
international word for the building type (aulun, what is the
Chinese?), the whole "mal-" line is borrowed from Esperanto
(somewhat inaccurately -- Esperanto "mal-" is closer to Lojban
"tol," but the most common form "malbona" seems to ahve set the
pattern). 

The American expression seems having been pretty convincing to the
world because its (first) referents obviously 
standing in that part of the globe called New York.
"grattacielo" (sky scraper)
"Wolkenkratzer" (cloud scraper)
"sgirie-nori" (cloud scraper)
"felhokaparo'/felhokarcolo'" (cloud scraper)
"mo2tian1 lou2" or "mo2tian1 da4 lou2" or "mo2tian1 da4 xia4 (BIG5
¼¯¤Ñ¼Ó or ¼¯¤Ñ¤j¼Ó or ¼¯¤Ñ¤j·H) (rub-sky 
storey-house/tower or rub-sky big storey-house/tower or rub-sky big
big-building)

Would "sky-belly-tickler" better? ;-)

.aulun.