Subject: Re: RE:literalism

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:24:13 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <Ti@f...>
wrote:

> The American expression seems having been pretty convincing to the
> world because its (first) referents obviously 
> standing in that part of the globe called New York.
> "grattacielo" (sky scraper)
> "Wolkenkratzer" (cloud scraper)
> "sgirie-nori" (cloud scraper)
> "felhokaparo'/felhokarcolo'" (cloud scraper)
> "mo2tian1 lou2" or "mo2tian1 da4 lou2" or "mo2tian1 da4 xia4 (BIG5
> *¯€Ñ*Ó or *¯€Ñ€j*Ó or *¯€Ñ€j·H) (rub-sky 
> storey-house/tower or rub-sky big storey-house/tower or rub-sky big
> big-building)
> 
> Would "sky-belly-tickler" be better? ;-)

Or cloud-piercer?

BTW, just want to add that some peoples prefer kind of fu'ivla, like
the Maltese:

skajskrejper - xorta ta' bini gholi hafna (lb.: corta ta bini .oli
xafna) = kind of very high building :-(

How do the Arabs, Turks etc. handle this metaphor?
(gökdelen/gökdeldi? something with sky=gök)

.aulun.